Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

I have a lump under the skin slightly above my right hip bone.

I have a lump under the skin slightly above my right hip bone. It doesn't hurt but in that one spot it itches like crazy and comes and goes
What is your age and sex?

How long have you had this lump?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am a 31 yr old female. The lump has been there for a couple of months and is not very big. The itching bothers me the most and is only located where the lump is. I have also had a complete hysterectomy and about a month ago I went to the ER with pain where the lump is. I thought it was my appendix but it wasnt
These are likely to be either Lipoma or Sebaceous cyst.

Lipoma is a localised collection of fat.It is a benign condition and does not pose any danger. Link.

A sebaceous cyst is a cyst formed in a gland of the skin called the sebaceous gland. It is also a benign condition. Link.

Both these conditions are benign conditions and do not pose a risk for you. The itchiness suggests that it is a sebaceous cyst with some mild infection. However, you should go for a check up to confirm these conditions. Other possible conditions are herniations, lymph nodes, etc. If they have become too large, they may need excision for cosmetic purposes. Excision is a minor operation and done in the doctor's clinic itself usually, it does not require admission.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.