Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Treat children/young adults, former chief resident, multiple publications
20089981

1. The mother of a 6-month-old infant calls the office requesting

Customer Question

1.     The mother of a 6-month-old infant calls the office requesting an appointment for her child. She advises that she thinks the child’s head appears swollen and that there are areas that appear to be bulging. What is your response regarding the appointment
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your post. I will try to help you. The answer in my opinion depends on what she means precisely. If she has concerns that the fontanelle (soft spot) is bulging, then she should go the ER to make sure the baby doesn't have a serious infection (meningitis). If the swelling is anywhere else, then I think it is probably safe to wait for the next day to be seen. If the child has fever, vomiting, is not eating or other concerns, then perhaps the baby should be seen in the ER as well.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions or I can be of help. Best wishes. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX