Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

My UREA NITROGEN (BUN)IS 27 and my BUN/CREAT/RATIO IS 32.9 which is high. What does it mean. I know it has something to do with the kidneys. I want to know how serious it could be.

The BUN is one marker of the efficiency of the kidneys in removing this waste byproduct. The creatinine is a similar marker of the efficiency of the kidneys. The high ratio (>20 ) indicates that you were dehydrated at the time of the test. If you were to drink plenty of fluids over several days and to have the test done again then the BUN would be improved and the BUN/creatinine ratio would also be improved.

We in general as a population tend to have bad habits of not drinking enough fluid per day. This could be worsened by certain things such as taking a diuretic for high blood pressure or having diarrhea. You should aim to take in 64 fluid ounces of fluid a day.

I hope this information is helpful for you. Further questions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work.

Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD