Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery

Rapid heart rate, pressure in chest, dry mouth and sometimes

Customer Question

Rapid heart rate, pressure in chest, dry mouth and sometimes difficulty swallowing. What can cause this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
How old are you?

What other medical conditions do you have?

What medications are you talking?

How "rapid" is your heart rate?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
42. No medical conditions and no meds. Heart rate was 104 when last checked.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
OK.

When you have pressure in the chest -- is that related to the "rapid" heart rate?

Does this come on with strenuous exercise?

Do you actually have difficulty swallowing water? Food? Or is it the sensation of a lump in the throat?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pressure seems to come after eating or drinking. It usually last the rest of the day. Not sure if the pressure and heart rate are related. No exercise. Mouth is dry, and I guess you could describe it as a lump. I have never had problems actually swallowing food or drink.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
OK.

While it is hard to relate all of these together, and further harder to figure this out on the Internet (without actually being able to examine you) one possible possiblity could be acid reflux.

Acid reflux could be the cause of some pressure felt in the chest area, especially after eating or drinking, and can be a cause of some sensations of problems with swallowing -- but not a mechanical obstruction that actually prevents swallowing.

Of course, any pressure in the chest in a middle aged person should be discussed with your doctor, since the evaluation of chest pressure must rule out heart conditions as a possible cause.

And a heart rate of 104 is fast, but not that fast to be a cause for immediate concern (such as a sudden increase in the heartrate > 150, for example).

So perhaps trying an overthe counter acid reducer would be a good trial to see if that would help your symptoms, and seeing your doctor for a full examination and bloodwork would be best to figure this out for sure.