Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

What happens if you,ve left a suspected broken finger untreated

Customer Question

What happens if you,ve left a suspected broken finger untreated for 6 weeks and are in lots of pain, what should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hoffman replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

Often, it makes no difference. If it was broken, you would want to make sure that the bones are not healing out of alignment. Unfortunately, it would be too late to change anything without surgery. If you get an x-ray and find out it's broken, you could support it better with "buddy-taping" or perhaps even splinting.

Hope this helps,

Dr. P
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've used buddy taping for the last six weeks, the pain is getting worse again, the middle nuckle is sticking out, my skin feels like it is burning where the knuckle is sticking out, I can barely move my finger now & have decreased feeling it's numb. What should I do? & what would a dr do to fix it. Thanks
DearCustomer

If it's worstening, I would recommend an x-ray. If it does not involve the joint space, then all that wold be required would be casting. If there is a fracture involving the joint, an orthopedic doctor may want to do surgery and pin any fragments in place.

Sincerely, XXXXX
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomerbr />
I am an Orthopedist and I have a different opinion to the other expert.

If your finger is numb and you have burning sensation an injury to digital nerve needs to be ruled out.I suggest that you visit ER ASAP because if a nerve injury is left untreated it may never get better.