Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice

I have had small, white, painful blisters inside my mouth and

I have had small, white, painful blisters inside my mouth and under my tongue for several days and have a red blister like rash on my chest. Today the blisters in my mouth have changed to being swollen and very red patches. I am a 45 year old female and have never had symptoms like these in the past
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear jere,

Greetings and welcome to jusanswer,

How long are you having blisters?

What is the size, shape, location?

What are the drugs you have tried so far?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
At first the blisters were very tiny, almost pinpoint size, now they seem to have turned into these red patches (flat, not raised) the size of pencil erasers. It is under my tongue. the first 3/4" of to top of my tongue and on the inside of my upper and lower lip. Since it has begun to turn red, it is spreading farther out to be almost visible on my lips. The back of my tongue seems to be getting sore as well. At first I thought it might be a food allergy, but I am beginning to fear it is something my boyfriend brought back from Afghanistan. He was here for 3 days and the symotoms started a day or two after he left. I have tried rinsing three times a day with Glyoxide.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear Jere,

Thank you for the information,

The white blisters can be due to some common causes.The common ones are canker sores or aphthous ulcers, oral warts, leukoplakia, hairy tongue, geographic tongue, etc.

The most common cause is the aphthous ulcers or canker sores which may be due to the viral infection, deficiency of vitamin and folic acid, autoimmune, etc.The causes are idiopathic in most of the cases.The exact cause of aphthous ulcers is not known.

You should get enough fruits and begetables in diet and the vitamins supplementation.The oral application of chlorhexidine or other antiseptic solution will help you in controlling the symptoms.You may use the local anaesthetic solution like dologel, etc. for immediate relief of the symptoms.

The oral warts caused by HPV virus can also cause such painful blisters and is related to oral sexual contact.The treatment of viral infection is symptomatic and antiviral drugs are used in severe cases.

You should consult a doctor or ENT specialist for the proper physical examination and relevant investigations if your symptoms are not controlled.

The treatment depends o the underlying cause.

Please visit here for more information:

causes of mouth ulcers

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you