Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

MY INNER THIGH FEELS BRUISED BUT ISNT AND EVEN THE TOUCH OF

MY INNER THIGH FEELS BRUISED BUT ISN'T AND EVEN THE TOUCH OF MY SLACKS MAKES IT HURT. I HAVE NO OTHER SYMPTOMS.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Is this the front of the thigh?

Or just the inside?

Does this go past the knee? Or involve the lower back?

How long has this been happening?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

IT FEELS LIKE A BRUISE ON THE INSIDE BUT YES THERE IS PAIN ON THE FRONT OF THE THIGH AREA ALSO. IT DOESN'T INVOLVE THE BACK AND IT HAS BEEN HURTING ALL DAY. I AM WORRIED ABOUT A BLOOD CLOT (ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER HAD ONE) SO STARTED LOOKING ON THE INTERNET TO SEE IF I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW COME IT IS HURTING SO MUCH.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Do you have swelling, or redness in that area?

Do you have weakness (e.g. trouble walking)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I REALLY DON'T THINK IT IS SWOLLEN AND IT IS NOT RED AND OTHER THAN THE PAIN STAYS THE SAME WHEN I WALK SIT ANYTHING THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. I ALSO EXPERIENCE SHARP BURSTS OF PAIN THAT MAKE ME WINCE. THE PAIN INVOLVES THE SKIN AND DOWN INTO THE TISSUE.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

OK.

The fact it is not swollen and not red, and seems to be sharp in that specific area makes it less likely to be a clot.

And more likely to be irritation of a specific nerve.

That area of skin that is ultrasensitive is suffering from "hyperesthesias" or "allodynia" - where normal sensations seem to cause it pain. This usually is due to irritation to the nerve.

Now what is actually irritating the nerve is a harder question to answer, and it requires further evaluation, starting with a neurologic exam and imaging or further testing if necessary. However, because most nerve irritations/inflammations improve over a few days to weeks, most of these cases get better on their own.

Such pains can come from lumbar nerve root irritation ("pinched nerve" in the back), sacroiliac joint irritation, muscle strains (quad, sartorius), or actual issues with the femur bone. Of course, your symptoms make it sound nerve related.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK YOU FOR YOU OPPINION. SHOULD I PUT HEAT OR ICE ON IT?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

To tell you the truth -- whatever makes it feel better.

If it is nerve irritation, it will just take time to get better, and whatever you can do to make it feel better is what you should do.

Of course, should this considerably worsen, or not improve after several weeks, seeing your doctor is best, XXXXX XXXXX a doctor's examination of the leg is needed to come up with an accurate diagnosis.

Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience: U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery