Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.
17382760

I am having profuse daily sweats and occasional profuse night

Customer Question

I am having profuse daily sweats and occasional profuse night sweats. I just called CDC to ask them if having profuse daily sweats might be a symptom of HIV. He could only respond by telling me that night sweats are the only symptom they mention in their information.

I know that I need to get an HIV test, and will next week, but somehow I have been putting it off. Do you folks have any specific knowledge about this?

Beda
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.
Hello

what is your age and gender?
any history of unprotected sex?if yes ,when?
any history of weight loss?
you mentioned daily sweats,from how long do you have it?
any history of low grade fever?
any swollen glands or lymph nodes?
any history of diarrhea?
any history of recurrent infections?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am female - 81 years old. (Amazing, huh, that someone my age is asking this questions???). Anyway, yes, unprotected sex about a year ago, but absolutely no other symptoms. No diarrhea, no swollen glands or lymph nodes, no history of recurrent infections, no fever, no history of weight loss. And these sweats have been happening for only a couple of weeks. I am actually wondering if it simply might be anxiety as for the same length of time I have been agonizing revising my Trust - and finally got to see my attorney and settled the big issues. I have never had this happen for me when I have been concerned about anything, but working on the Trust really just preoccupied me and almost made me sick - so maybe, just maybe it could have been that - but about six years ago, I made several trips to VietNam and met a Vietnamese man that I almost brought to this country - and had sex with him one time. I wasn't positive if it had been protected or not - as I had given him a condom - and given different behavior on his part, I didn't REALLY know if he had used it or not. So I went into a deep depression then when I came home - but got tested then - and have for years always been tested with my annual exam at Kaiser and it has always been negative.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.
Hello

I am not here to judge nobody.I am a physician,so age does not matter for me in this regards.
Now looking at history of unprotected sex a year ago,dialy sweats with no other symptoms,it seems least likely that you may be having HIV as it is mostly accompanied with other symptoms too.
Mostly HIV presents with diarrhea or recuurent infections ot weight loss.
Now there is always a possibility that HIV could present with any vague picture and can present with daily sweats too,but it is advisable that we rule out other causes too such as thyroid problems as increase thryoid hormone can present with daily sweating too,so ask your physician to do thyroid stimulating hormone(TSH) to rule this possibility.
Other possibility could have been malignancy but as you do not have any other symptoms so it is low in our list,but still ask your physician to do a detailed physical exam , complete blood count and look for white blood count and their differentials to rule out this possibility too.
There is high possibility that this could be anxiety,so after ruling all organic causes,we can come to diagnosis of exclusion which is anxiety.
Thanks

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button to get my credit.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not need any further clarification, but I just want to thank Dr. Bassi for his analysis - which sounds reasonable to me. But, indeed, I will follow up with getting my appt. for my usual total physical, plus an extra call to my personal physician about the thyroid test. So thank you so much. This is an amazing site! Signed, "Customer" in San Diego.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.
Hello

Your most welcome.

Wish you best of health and happiness.

Keep in touch

Regards

Dr Bassi