It seems that the you are having spasm of the diaphragm. This may or may not be related to the radiation treatment that you received. There can be many reasons for this:
- Abdominal surgery
- Any disease or disorder that irritates the nerves that control the diaphragm (such as pleurisy
- Hot and spicy foods or liquids
- Noxious fumes
- Stroke or tumor affecting the "hiccup center" in the brain
- There may be no obvious cause for hiccups in some cases
To treat persistent hiccups, the health care provider may perform gastric lavage or massage of the carotid sinus in the neck. THIS MUST BE DONE BY THE HEALTH CARE PROVIDER ONLY. DO NOT ATTEMPT IT YOURSELF.
1. phenothiazine (especially chlorpromazine),
3. Tube insertion (nasogastric intubation
) may also provide relief.
Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any questions.
Please click ACCEPT so I cane get the dues.