Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have small bump filled with a simi-hard white stuff just

Customer Question

I have small bump filled with a simi-hard white stuff just under my skin. they dont cause me any problems . but over my life time 55 years I have had 3 or 4 of them. the white stuff is a lot like grease and has a sweet but bad smell ( i know its werd but it smells like my butt).

Rachael
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear Rachael,

Thank you for the information,

What is your age/sex?

How long are you having this bump with white material?

Any associated fever, tenderness, redness?

What is the exact location and number?

What are the drugs you are taking?

Did you consult a doctor yet?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have two at this time and each has been there for about 2 to 4 years. I squeeze it out and a 6 months to a year they get big enoth to squeeze again.

I am 55 years old

I am a male to female transsexual

nofever or redness or tenderness

one behind my ear right side and one on my back upper shoulder area

estroil (sp) water pill and lisinopril 20 mg

and no I have not contacted my doctor about it

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for the information,

As per the symptoms you have described, the white discharge after squeezing the bump is likely to be the pus discharge from the bump which can be due to the infectious cause.

The antibiotics are needed to control the bacterial infection causing such bumps.The commonly used antibiotics are amoxycillin, ofloxacin, metronidazole, etc.The analgesics like diclofenac, motrin will help in the control of pain and swelling.

The local application of antibiotics ointment like soframycin, betadiene , etc. will help in the control of infection.

You should consult a dermatologist for the more physical examination and start the treatment according.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no pain and no swelling and I am sure its not puss. I had 5 kids so I know puss.

at one time I had one on my back the size of a 50 cent pice but did not know it and while in the shower it came off my back and hit the floor and it was hard like a hunk of hard fat on beef.

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
DearCustomer

Thank you for the reply,

I opt out so that the other expert can look at your question and help you better.

Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 5 years ago.
No offense to the previous expert, but this is definitely not pus.

What you are having is a sebaceous cyst.

This is a common, benign condition in which the pilosebaceous glands are obstructed, causing build up of sebaceous material. It is this sebaceous material, which actually is a greasy substance which is secreted by these glands to keep the skin oily, which you are pressing out. It comes out through the small duct opening at the tip of the gland.

This cannot be treated with medications, you will require a small surgical procedure to remove this. It is a day procedure, requiring hardly 15 minutes. You should approach a surgeon for this. Removal is needed mainly for cosmetic purposes as the cyst will keep on getting larger at a very slow rate.

You can look up here:
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068818/

There is a minimally invasive technique nowadays which can be used to give a scarless result.

See this link:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020401/1409.html

You can discuss with your surgeon about this technique and request for it.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.