Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

What is concentric disc bulge with right to left central annular

What is concentric disc bulge with right to left central annular fissure. Mild mass effect on the adjacent thecal sac. What does all this mean?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
What level was this finding on MRI?

Is this the cervical spine? Lumbar spine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
C5-6 Concentric disc bulge with right to left central annular fissure. Mild mass effect on the adjacent thecal sac. No neural foraminal narrowing

This is all that the MRI report says
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
OK.

Are you having neck pain that shoots down the arm into the thumb?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am having severe neck and left shoulder pain. I do have numbness in my left hand going from thumb and my last two fingers. I am seeing a neurosurgeon and he told me that there was nothing wrong with me and nothing should be hurting.
My MRI also stated:
C6-7 Disc osteophyte complex with superimposed central focal protrusion with borderline size to mild canal stenosis. There is mild to moderate right neural foraminal narrowing.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
OK.

You MRI:

What is concentric disc bulge with right to left central annular fissure. Mild mass effect on the adjacent thecal sac.

There is a small bulging disc, with a tear in the covering of the disc. This disc bulge presses only slightly on the spinal cord.

There is a bulging disc and bone spur that only mildly puts some pressure on the spinal cord. There is some narrowing of the space on the right side for the nerve.

The problem with the MRI is that it does not correlate with your symptoms -- as left arm pain should be from "left" neural foraminal narrowing, or you should have a large herniated disc off to the left.

So, the neurosurgeon probably wouldn't do anything since the disc bulges aren't that big, and that they aren't on the same side of your symptoms.

At this point, you may want to see a neurologist for a EMG and nerve conduction test.