doctornihil, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MD, MPH

Recent White blood cell count of 13.8. Doctor concerned and

Recent White blood cell count of 13.8. Doctor concerned and recommended seeing an oncologist or hematologist. However, I have had a spleenectomy when a teen and have always had a high WBC count - just don't have the history to know how high. I smoke, have allergies, have anxiety disorder, manic-depression (for which I am taking lamictal, lithium, ambien (for sleep)). Is this really a cause for concern, or should I simply have another test done in 3 months or so to see if the count remains stable.

P.S. Don't worry I am starting on the lastest med to help quit smoking. My next battle to work on.
Your WBC count is mildly elevated. I see you are on lithium. Lithium can cause chronic elevation of WBCs.
Any allergic reaction to environmental allerigies can elevate wbcs.
Physical stress can also increase wbc count.
Unless you have symptoms like recurrent infections, bleeding disorder, weakness, fatigue, lymphadenopathy, you should not worry about borderline elevation of your wbc count.
serial measurement is also helpful ( like 3 mths later), but not required in the absence of symptoms.