Ask Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurolog...
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology, Doctor
Experience:  Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.
19824690

Apparently I have a blood clot in the tip of my index finger...

Apparently I have a blood clot in the tip of my index finger... I lost my job, and have no insurance.... What can I do? Can it just be poked and bled out? By the way, I have history of clots.... suffered 2 pulminary embolisms (in 1992?) after knee surgery.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology replied 7 years ago.

How can you tell? Is the clot visible? Has your finger changed color or feels different?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was told it was a clot by a pharmacist at Walgreens.. SLIGHT discoloration ( reddish-purple ) has the "pins and needles feeling.
I almost severed the finger tip about 2 months ago, and without insurance, I just taped it back together.
Is this the same finger on which you taped the fingertip back on? Has this been going on for 2 months then?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is the same finger..... It took about six weeks to heal, so I don't know when normal pain would have stopped. I went to Walgreens about 2 weeks ago, for some Liquid Skin, so if ther is a clot, its been about 2 weeks.
It is possible there is a small blood clot in your finger. However, since it has been 2 months already there are other problems to consider. Since blood vessels and nerves have been severed off, they need to regrow and it takes time. It looks like you have nerve damage, hence the pain. Poking it will make it worse.
You are better off at least seeing a nurse in a free walk-in-clinic since trying to take care of it yourself for 2 months has not given you good results.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is worst case scenario if left untreated? I don't care if it's numb... will clot travel?
The clot will probably not travel, if there is one. Worse case scenario is you may develop an infection which may lead to gangrene or suffer permanent pain from inappropriate union of that flap you cut and abnormal nerve healing.