Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

What does it mean when you can feel your pulse when laying

What does it mean when you can feel your pulse when laying down on your back
Submitted: 5 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
what is your age and gender?
are you feeling pulse in your head or on chest?
are you diagnosed with any medical condition?
are you on any medications?
from how long are you having these symptoms?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
42 years old and female. I do not feel anything in my head or chest. Hypertension of which I am on Medication for. I am on HCTZ 50mg daily,Metoprolol 25mg twice a day,Norvasc 5mg daily,Potassium 60meq daily,Protonix 40mg daily.Fish oil 1000mg twice daily.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry but i have to ask more questions.

Where do you feel the pulse?
do you feel it only while laying down or is it persistent?

Thanks for your patience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Only when I lay down on my back when I am laying down in bed
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
I have opted out from the question as I don`t think I will be able to give the best answer.

Other physician from our just answer website will be able to assist you.

Sorry but I have to be honest.

Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I am here only because Dr. Sumit Bassi Opted out in order to help you. Dr. Sumit is kind and very concern about you. I would like to ask few questions from you in order to guide you well. You mean to say palpitations fast heart beat on laying down? How you feel your fast pulse in wrists or in neck? any anxiety issues you have for the last few weeks or months?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I feel it most in am when I am laying down in bed can feel heartbeat in my back. I do not feel it in my wrists or neck as a fast heartbeat. No anxiety issues.
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your details. You have answered my questions very well. Awareness of heart beats can also be called as palpitations and occur when a person can feel abnormalities in the normal beating of the heart like you pointed out. There can be many causes for that and few important ones are

Electrolyte imbalance (especially sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium)
Hyperthyroidism
Anemia
Alcohol, caffeine
Drug induced and also poor drug compliance while on Beta blockers, calcium blockers

You are already taking such medications like hydrochlorothiazide 50mg and this drug is known for electrolyte imbalance. I would advice you to have these tests asap

Serum electrolytes
Thyroid profile
Complete blood count
EKGs

I will also suggest you to see your doctor for complete evaluation because this can be a serious symptom. I can give the possibilities and show you the right direction here because exact diagnosis is not possible without examination.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Regards
Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience: Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS