Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

waking up in the morning with the taste of blood in my mouth

waking up in the morning with the taste of blood in my mouth and spitting out saliva with blood in it.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Just a few questions for you...
May I ask your age? Do you have any health problems? Are you on any medications?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I am not on any meds I don't have any health issues right now and I am 43yrs old, I can actually taste blood sometimes during the day also.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Just a few more questions for you..
Are you coughing at all? Any problems with your teeth? Do you smoke? And lastly, how much blood are you seeing in the saliva?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Also, any fever, night sweats or weight loss?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I am not coughing at all althought I do have a feeling of dryness at the back of my throat, no I just had an examination on my teeth 2 weeks ago and no problems, I stopped smoking in Jan 09, and a colouration through my saliva not is not like it is constant. there is no fevers or night sweats and no weight loss.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.
Here are my thoughts...
You may have a sinus infection..this can cause bleeding and drainage that may pool in the throat, especially at night when you are laying down and that is why you are noticing it more in the morning.
Irritation of the nose/dryness of the nose and mild nosebleeds at night can lead to blood in the saliva. This is because when you are laying down the blood goes down the throat instead of out of the nose.
Any type of tumor (not common but you are at risk due to the history of smoking) in the throat, nose, respiratory tract can cause bleeding.
Bronchitis or other respiratory infections can also cause blood in mucus but you are not complaining of cough so this is less likely.
I would have an exam by your doctor to check things out.
Please ask if you have more questions. I am available.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One thing I neglected to say that this has been going on for about 3mths and I suppose I have been kind of scared to go to the doctor if it was a sinus infection wouldn't it have cleared by now.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Yes, typically sinus infections will clear but sometimes they require antibiotics. I can understand the fear of going to the doctor. But this could be something that is easily treated.
And if it is something serious, it is better to treat it early when it may be cured...