Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I have a sore spot on the left side of my tongue and soreness

I have a sore spot on the left side of my tongue and soreness in the back of my throat which is now beginning to effect my left ear. It is difficult to swallow.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Just a few questions for you..
How old are you? Do you notice any blisters or is there a sore on the tongue? Any white spots in the throat? Do you have any fever?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No feaver. There is a bump on the left side of my tongue where the soreness originated but dont understand why my throat (feels like my tonsils on the left side) are sore. Didnt notice any spots on the throat.

I am 33 years old. thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Where on the tongue is it sore? Front, back? By the taste buds? Do you smoke?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dont smoke. Left side edge near the back of the tongue. I thought the pain was causd by it scraping against a broken wisdom tooth i have but the pain extending to my thoat confused me a little.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your answers.
Yes, it very well could be from irritation due to the wisdom tooth. It is not unusual for tongue pain to refer to the throat or the ear because the nerves that supply the tongue also supply the throat/ear.
Other thoughts as to what may be causing the problem though are the beginnings of a viral infection: you can develop sores on the tongue and the throat. Or the pain in the throat may be due to a viral infection and coincidental with the sore tongue. Since you are developing difficulty swallowing (due to pain?) it may be due to infection and if your symptoms persist you should see your doctor. Your doctor can do a throat swab to check you for strep throat and examine the spot on the tongue/check your ear.
If you have more questions, please ask. I am available.
thank you.
Also, try some warm salt water gargles to ease the sore throat.