Dr. G MD
Dr. G MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Vanderbilt Trained. Kidney disease, high blood pressure, Internal Medicine, Kidney Transplant

does trazodone damage the liver or kidney with long term use

does trazodone damage the liver or kidney with long term use if yes what else can i use that will not damage my body. i have been using trazodone for approximately 3 years
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. G MD replied 7 years ago.
The first question is what are you using the trazadone for and is it prescribed to you? Trazadone is an anti-depressant that is often prescribed to help with sleeping. It does not tend to cause any liver or kidney issues in most patients. In rare patients (proabably less than 1%), there can be some adverse reactions such as liver problems or bladder retention (not being able to urinate easily). These problems are not common, however.

The medication does need to be used very carefully in patients who already have some liver or kidney impairment.

If you have been on it for 3 years and there is no signs of liver or kidney dysfunction, it is highly unlikely that it will cause those problems in you in the future.

Best of luck to you. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.