HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician
Experience:  Licensed by the State of New York

at first i felt a pinching sensation in the sole of my feet

at first i felt a pinching sensation in the sole of my feet then numbness in my legs. Now a burning hot feeling in my upper and middle back. My doctor have yet to give me an answer why? i undergone urine cytology, blood testing and lately, CTscan. i am still waiting for the resultr of my ct scan. but what do you think is the problem with me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 5 years ago.

There are several things that can cause the type of symptoms that you are describing. The first thing that comes to mind is a herniated disc resulting a compression of a nerve root (a radiculopathy). The most common location of a herniated disc is the L5-S1 region. The L5 region is located outside part of the leg below the knee including the top of the foot.The S1 region is the sole of the foot and the back part of the leg. If the herniated disc is higher it can cause symptoms higher up. Other things that can cause these kind of findings is syringomyelia. This is an abormal enlargement of the center of the spinal cord resulting in a compression of nerve fibers. Still yet other possible etiologies includes a tumor that is compressing the cord and the spinal nerve roots.

Peripheral neuropathy (for example secondary to diabetes) can also cause burning sensation, numbness and tingling of the various regions of the body.

A test called an EMG can also help you determine if the process is related to peripheral neuropathy or related to the spinal cord itself. In addition to this test, a thorough neurological examination by an experienced neurologist can also help you shed light on what is going on.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how come, i was ct scan particularly in the abdomen and bladder? what is the connection between my abdomen and bladder from my condition? i dont understand
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 5 years ago.

The reason that they may have looked at your abdomen and bladder is most likely because of your medical history (I am not aware of your past medical history as you have not mentioned it). It is likely that by doing this scan, they were most likely looking for a mass. Since this scan covers a fairly broad area, it also helps your physician determine if there is spinal tumor. Ideally, MRI of your thoracic and lumbosacral spine would be the study of choice.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

okey, last question. i hope you dont mind. what is the best theraphy for this sickness. is it by surgical operations/ physical theraphy or chiropractor or a simple medication can do?

promise this is my last question? then i click accept. thanks

Expert:  HouseDoc replied 5 years ago.

That's a very difficult question. First you have to tell me what is causing the problem then I can tell you what is the best treatment. If your symptoms are from peripheral neuropathy then I would place you on medications such as gabapentin, pregabalin or duloxetine. If your symtpoms are from a herniated disc or radiculopathy then physical therapy can help you along with anti-inflammatory medications. If your symptoms are from a tumor then we would need the help of a surgeon. So, the treatment depends on the diagnosis. It's not clear yet what is causing your symptoms. Once we figure that out, then course of treatment becomes more clear.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. If the above answers your question, then please press the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for answering your question. Adding a bonus and positive feedback will be greatly appreciated.

HouseDoc, Attending Physician
Experience: Licensed by the State of New York