Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

How long will a steroid shot stay in your body I had a shot

How long will a steroid shot stay in your body? I had a shot about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have had trouble with nausea, gi rumblings, intermittent diarrhea, sweating, no appetite,bitter gaul taste in my mouth, increased sensitivity to stomach acid, increased urination. I can't even take my estrogen hrt anymore without my symptoms getting worse. What is going on here? My shot was a combination of 1 mg of decadron and 80 mg of dexamethasone.
What were the specific compounds used as these drugs are available in different chemical forms with different pharmacological properties?

Did you get it IV or IM or any other route?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was told that I was given an injection of 1mg of decadron, 80 mg dexamethasone, 1% sodium phosphate. It was a combination steroid shot given one time in my glutteal muscle. I did not take the additional oral steroids I was prescribed because of the horrible stinging, red, swelling, facial flushing I had the next day. I have been unable to use my HRT, .1 milligram estradiol patch, because the side effects get worse. The current gi rumblings are rough but so far the diarrhea has been intermittant. I was treated for a muscle strain in my neck. I had none of these symptoms prior to the shot.
DearCustomer

Though the half life of both these compounds is short in few hours only you may have got a depot preparation which releases the drug slowly over time.The release time can extend upto 4 weeks.

Another cause of your symptoms can be suppression of Hypothalamic Pituitary adrenal axis which can cause the symptoms you are having.In that case you may need steroids as treatment.

It would be advisable to visit an endocrinologist to get yourself examined who can than order relevant investigations.

Regards
Sawhney
__________________________________________________________________________
If you are satisfied then don't forget to click ACCEPT.
I am available to answer your further queries.
Positive feedback and bonus would be warmly appreciated.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will definitely be issuing a bonus for your thoughtful answer, but I can't get in to a endrocrinologist until August 4th. Is that too long to wait? Is it possible my body will get better once the shot wears off? Will there be withdrawal symptoms because of the long acting nature of this shot? (This is my final reply, but I would so appreciate your answers to my additional questions. Talking to the doctor who gave me the shot is not a good idea. He denied steroids could cause facial flushing or swelling. I don't want to argue with anyone. I am just trying to get better).
DearCustomer

In both the possible scenarios I have mentioned things should get better with time.Second scenario of HPA axis suppression is actually another name for withdrawal and this should also get better with time.

If you can tide over until your visit to an endocrinologist you may not even require to visit him.

Regards
Sawhney

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry to get back with you so late. I have been out. I accept you last answer. Thanks so much for being there for people. I have had the most humiliating experiences since this shot dealing with the clinic who gave it to me. One doctor did not believe the shot could cause my symptoms and told me to throw away any information I had printed out about my symptoms, just let him take care of me. He also thought my anxiety caused this. I am not anxious, just sick. You are a breath of fresh air and hope. Thanks for everything.
Thanks and good luck to you.

Hope this helps you get better.

Please leave a positive feedback if you have not done so earlier.