Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

My 4 year old son has been complaining of an itchy bottom.

My 4 year old son has been complaining of an itchy bottom. I looked at it and it is a little red around the anus with a few little bumps that look like pimples. I have had him tested for pinworms already. Any advice? What can I do for the itch?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 5 years ago.
Hi Shan and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

There are a few things that could be other reasons for your son's itching.
One could be 'occult fecal leakage' which basically means that a tiny bit of stool (possibly less than you can see with the naked eye) leaks out. Also, passing gas can sometimes cause a similar problem.
Certain spicy foods can cause itching of the anus.
A yeast infection / rash can cause this - although that is something I'm sure you would be able to see clearly.
I know you've tested for pin worms already. You didn't write how extensively you checked. Studies have found that often infestations can be missed. Because the adult female dies after depositing her eggs, the false negative rate can be up to 95%.
Testing with scotch tape also has shown to have a lot of false negatives, with a sensitivity of only 50%, 3 examinations had a sensitivity of 95%, and 5 examinations had a sensitivity of 99%.
If the examination is repeated one to two days later there is a much higher chance of finding them.
Unfortunately there is the possibility of 'idiopathic' itching which basically means itching for no reason that we can find. It is possible that his doctor can try prescribing some creams to help relieve the itching if no source is found.

This website gives a whole list of possibilities, most of which are obviously not appropriate. http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/anal_itching/causes.htm

I wish you the best of luck and hope your son is feeling much better very soon.

If you have any follow-up questions feel free to ask them.

________________________
If you are satisfied with my answer please click 'accept' so that I can be paid. BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are not necessary, but always appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What can I do in the meantime about the itching? Is there anything I can use over the counter? Since there are little pimple like things should I take him in? I had him tested for pinworms one time and it was negative and that was about a month ago. We thought he had a bladder infection and so they tested for that as well because he was urinating often. The bladder infection was also negative.
I need to tend to an emergency but I will answer your within the hour hopefully.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I will wait for your reply.
Thanks
I'm sorry I had to run a little bit ago.
I can't think of anything over the counter that I would be comfortable putting there. Some would say a 1% hydrocortisone cream would be okay.
There is a medication (prescription) made specifically for this problem. It is called Analpram-HC (this problem being itching anus).
Other things to try are
Baby powder to see if keeping the area very dry will help. On the other hand you can try aquaphore to keep the area wet and protected. You might want to try Desitin to protect the skin there.
Aveeno bath is another very helpful thing.
I know you already tested for pin worm, but I would be more aggressive about checking for that every few days just because that is the most likely cause of pediatric itching anus.

I hope your son feels better very soon!! G-d Bless

________________________

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.