MasterDoc
MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine
3119816

short tendon and pain in my heel on my left foot..my three toes

Almost three weeks ago, I just had my acheles tendon treated for having a short tendon and pain in my heel on my left foot. It was an outpatient surgery procedure. When I awaken from the surgery I had numbness in my three toes and part of my second toe is numb. I thought maybe it's all from the anesthesia. Four days after the surgery I told the doctor. He told me he didn't touch my toes at all. So I figure maybe I should wait a while and the feeling should come back. It's been almost three weeks after the surgery and they are still numb with sensation of pins and needles sometimes. I just was wondering what went wrong medically.
Category: Medical
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
Boy, talk about a literally truthful yet totally misleading answer: "I didn't touch your toes at all"! In all likelihood he either cut, severely stretched or compressed the nerves that come from the toes AS THEY GO THROUGH THE ANKLE. Ask the doctor about that possibility; if he is honest he will answer yes and refer you to a neurologist (a nerve specialist). The good news is that these kind of injuries usually get better over days, weeks or months.
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.