Ask Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurolog...

Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology, Doctor
Experience:  Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.
19824690

I am having sudden sharp pains in my head, They are stabbing

Customer Question

I am having sudden sharp pains in my head, They are stabbing pains and have been only on the right side. It started Friday and have moved to 4 different spots. The pain is so that when it happens it takes my breath and feels like it hits a nerve. When this happens it makes my body jump. It is only for a second or two then gone. Sometimes they are back to back sometimes it doesnt happen for minutes to hours apart. I went to the ER. They oerfirmed a CAT scan, EKG and cardiac enzyme blood test. They all came back showing nothing.

It is now Monday night and still hurting. I have taken Hydrocodone for relief but when the med wares off the pains come back. It is not a constant pain so the dr at the er could not prescribe anything or give me more answers.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Hi, is the temporal part of you head tender? Is there any eye problems? How old are you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My temples? They are no more tender than normal. However that is where the pain is at this time.

My vision has not changed that I have noticed.

I am 36 yrs old.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
A possibility is inflammation of your temporal artery. You need some additional blood tests called sed rate and CRP. ER docs may not be familar with this condition. You need to see an internist or rheumatologist. The normal CAT scan doesn't rule out this condition of temporal arteritis.
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology replied 5 years ago.
This is not that typical of temporal arteritis.

These symptoms are consistent with ice pick headaches. It would be prudent to see an neurologist and have a brain MRI done.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am very scared and even more confused.

Am I speaking with the same Dr in prior correspondeces?

I am not insured at this time. Is this something I can ask for in the ER/

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Hi, no there are 2 docs offering opinions. You should see a neurologist. Talk to your family doc as he can call for you and have you see one quickly. There is still no diagnosis so further testing needs to be done.
No, this is not the same doctor. I read your symptoms and what you are experiencing is called "ice pick headache" or "idiopathic stabbing headache" (same thing). They typically last a second or so, and may come in clusters. These headaches are associated with migraines and cluster headaches.
If they come in clusters or they interfere with your daily activities (which it sounds they do), you probably should be on a preventative medication. These attacks can also be treated with indomethacin (pain killer).
There is no rush to get an MRI of the brain immediately, but it should be done soon.

Was head CT done in ER? Do you have other concerns?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They did perform a CAT scan and they told me that it did not seem abnormal.

These pains wake me up out of a dead sleep too.

It is reassuring that head CT was OK. Since these are new, it would be appropriate to get an MRI, especially that these wake you up from "dead sleep".
Sound like you are going through a bout of them and need a preventative medicine.
Contact your doctor so s/he can examine you and get a prescription for a trial of of indomethacin. This while you wait for a visit with a neurologist who will take a detailed history, examine you and prescribe a preventative drug.
I understand no health insurance is an issue but you also need to take care of yourself.
Does this answer your question?
Best of luck to you.

Experience: Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You are absolutley wonderful!

You have descdibed eveything to a T. I am goinf to the ER now.

Have a great evening.

Shirley

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
good luck