Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.
17382760

Someone said that removing fluid on the knee can make your

Someone said that removing fluid on the knee can make your knee worse, that the fluid is supposed to be a cushion.. What is true?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
Greetings

To give you a honest answer,I have to ask some questions.

Why was the fluid aspirated from the joint?
what is your age and gender?
are you diagnosed with any medical condition?
are you on any medications?
do you know what was the synovial fluid(the fluid in joint) analysis report say?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had torn medial maniscus and torn lateral maniscus from a sports injury in 9/08. It was a jump I landed hard on my knee and somebody's weight came down on on me after the jump. I am 59 male. The knee was fine about 13 weeks later after a cortosone shot and removal of fluid, and then physical therapy. Now I may have slightly reinjured it when i was jogging briefly to get out of the rain about a week ago. I got a bad pain that went away fairly quickly and then 4 days later after dancing the night before, it started the knee swelled. It hurts when I walk and I am planning to try and see my doctor as soon as possible. (Gonna try and make an appt monday) But a friend had told me about the fluid and that it shouldn;t be removed because it is like a cushion. I just wanted another opinion about the fluid removal. I am on lexipro and vitorin but nothing for the knee. The knee has basically been normal since January 09.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello

Thanks for answering my questions,I really appreciate that.

Now looking at your age and no history of connective tissue disorders like rheumatoid arthritis or SLE ,the fluid which was aspirated will regenerate by itself.The fluid is made from plasma( which is part of whole blood).Though at your age it takes sometime but as you do not have any other risk factors,it does not seem that you have to worry.
Thanks
Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button to get my credit.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does that mean that it doesn't make a difference as to whether I remove the fluid or not?

Does that mean that fluid removed wont hurt me under an any conditions?

Is there a benefit of having fluid removed? Not being removed?

My knee is pretty swollen now and hurts when I walk or when I apply pressure to some of the areas around the knee, but doesn't throb or really bother me in most positions. The knee won't bend completely either because of pain and the thickness of the area that has swelled.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello

1)It does make difference ,because fluid does acts like a cushion,your physician must have taken it for synovial fluid analysis.

2)No we do not recommend fluid to be removed,if we have to take it for diagnostic procedures or if it is indicated only for any treatment then only we aspirate it.

3)The answer depends on snovial fluid analysis report and the indication why the fluid was removed at the first place.Now as you mentioned your knee is swollen,the reason for it has to looked firstly by physical exam,different maneuvers to check the movement and any new injury,if required MRI because you have to give rest after injury,but as you mentioned that you had to jog ,even dance.
Thanks

Dr. B., Doctor
Experience: Physician with 8 years of experience.