Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a rash around my hairline, ears, and back of my neck.

Customer Question

I have a rash around my hairline, ears, and back of my neck. It consists of tiny little pin-point size blisters that pop and then turn into small red bumps. I've had it once about 18 months ago and thought it was a reaction to a hair coloring product, but this time there is no identifiable reason for it. Is it something I should discuss with a doctor? It lasted about 10 last time. It's lasted about 5 days this time so far, but there is no sign of it getting better yet.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
This is likely to be due to an allergic reaction.

You should check out whether you have started any new medications. It could be also due to some new foods that you both took, specially foods like nuts, some new types of meat, fish, etc. You could be having a food allergy. You should also watch out for any new soaps or detergents. Link1. Link2

It could also be an allergic reaction to bed bugs. Link.

If you find anything which could have caused the allergy, you should try to avoid it. However, quite as often, no definite cause of such allergic reactions can be found, you should not worry if this is so. Although you suspected a hair lotion in the previous episode but are unable to think of anything this time, this does not matter as it has been shown that in 50% of cases of allergy, the exact allergen cannot be identified by the person concerned.

Meanwhile you can take Cap. Benadryl (OTC) 1 cap. daily, this will help to cure the rash. You can also apply 1% Hydrocortisone cream (available OTC) on the rash. You can expect the rash to go down in two three days.

However, if it persists beyond three days or new rashes appear, then you need to approach your doctor for this. If it persists, conditions like scabies , Eczema and other dermatological conditions need to be ruled out.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm already doing all of this and it's been 5-6 days with no sign of it getting better. As one little section starts to clear up, it just spreads to a new area along the hairline and neck, with the rash completely around my hair in some form at this time. Is there anything else to be concerned about other than an allergy?
Allergy is the most likely.

There are several other conditions which can present with such rashes like eczema, folliculitis, etc.

But allergy is most likely.

If the symptoms havent gone down with use of antihistaminics like Benadryl, then you should consult a doctor. Yo may need prescription strength antihistaminics.