MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine

What causes the toe nails to widen and the nails to bend over

What causes the toe nails to widen and the nails to bend over on the toes?
Category: Medical
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
By widen do you mean thicken? Do you mean top to bottom or side to side?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, they are not thicker---just wider than they ever were. I'm 66 and this just startrd about 3 or 4 years ago.
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
Is this all of your toes or just one or two?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The 3 middle toes
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
Sorry to keep asking questions but you keep giving a different answer than I expected. The 3 middle toes on both feet or just one foot?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's been happening on the right foot & is starting, in the same way to the left.
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
There are two basic possibilities and your answers have made me vacillate back and forth between them. My initial thought was a fungal infection of a nail. However the fact that they are not thickened and the pattern (3 toes on one foot and now going to the other foot) makes that less likely (but still possible). The other possibility is that you are getting some VERY mild swelling in your feet (one greater than the other). This is VERY common as we get older. IT would cause your shoes to fit more tightly and possibly cause the nails in the middle toes to widen and curve at the end.
The best way to get a definite diagnosis is, of course, to see a podiatrist and find out what an examination reveals.
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.