Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate

My bilirubin count is 1.4 showing it to be high 0.1-1.2 due

Customer Question

My bilirubin count is 1.4 showing it to be high 0.1-1.2 due I need to worry nd what can I do to lower it
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Your bili level of 1.4 is what is known as the "high" side of normal - it is not at a level that would particularly promote treatment. Also, as a physician, we don't necessarily treat labs - because you can be chasing a lab for nothing. Can you tell me why you had the lab drawn? Were any other labs drawn at the same time? Do you have any medical problems such as liver problems, gallbladder problems?? Are you taking any mediations?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yearly check up i had my gall bladder removed two years ago and no i'm on no medication
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Most likely the bili is slightly elevated because of decreased storage capacity - the gallbladder acted as your storage "bag" for bilirubin - and it is not unusual to see a small "bump" in your bili - so your bili level is NORMAL for you - so you do not need to do anything. If you are having problems with itching due to elevated bili - then you can try a medication called cholestyramine. I hope this helps, take care and please click on ACCEPT as I would appreciate it for my time. Thank you. Smile
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Please click on ACCEPT as this would be much appreciated for answering your question. Thank you.