PK
PK, Doctor
Experience:  MD

If my urine culture grew greater than 100,000 for ecoli, would

Customer Question

If my urine culture grew greater than 100,000 for ecoli, would it be normal for a bladder scope to show that my bladder was "very inflamed"?
Category: Medical
Expert:  PK replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.

Yes,such an infection will lead to the inflammation that you have mentioned.

You thus need to be treated for the infection with antibiotics and help the inflammation subside.

I hope this answers your question .

If you have further doubts then please do let me know.

Please click on the green accept button if this answers your question as it is only then that will I be credited for my work .

Thank you .
PK, Doctor
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am on antiobiotics, my second round, now flagyl, three days, I am greatly improved in my symptoms, but still having a twinge. and somewhat increased urination, my urologist is out of town, results just came back from my gyno today. ( whom I saw before the urologist) I had been on bactrim 4 days with no relief before the flagyl, I am wondering if I need to push for something stronger since I am now going on vacation. HOw long should this take considering the scope of the infection to have complete relief.
Expert:  PK replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

Bactrim is usually used to treat infections caused due to E.coli.Perhaps the strain you had was resistant to it or it is a possibility that bactrim in fact reduced your symptoms after 4 days .

Flagyl on the other hand is not very effective against the E.coli.
Now as you have the urine test results you perhaps need to be put on an antibiotic more specific for E.coli.Perhaps they would also have done an antibiotic sensitivity too along with your test as this tell us which antibiotic is good to treat the infection in the particular case.

I would suggest that now that you have your results you get your antibiotic in accordance with the same.Amoxicillin is one antibiotic that you can perhaps discuss on getting.

It is not possible to give a definite time frame for this.It can be said though that if the antibiotics are effective against the strain then the completed course should make you feel better.

I hope this answers you.
Do let me know if you have further doubts.

Thank you.