Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

What might be causing my outer ears to itch, drain a clear

What might be causing my outer ears to itch, drain a clear fluid, and sometimes scab up?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 7 years ago.

Since how long? Is it on both sides? Any other symptom? Any past illness? Any test ? Any treatment taken?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Both my ears have been itching for quite primary gave me ear drops and they worked for awhile.

I have no fever, no recent illnesses, do not take any regular meds, only vitamins.

Sometimes they feel a little raw when I scratch in my sleep...then they scab...small scab. It seems the itching is upon entering the ear canal...then a small amt of clear fluid is released. Is there a dermastitus that can continue to fester? I don't know if I should see an ear specialist or a dermatologist.

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the input,

This sounds like an otitis externa. Fungal infection of the ear usually occurs in the external part of the ear . There can be some predisposing factors for it. These include presence of water in the ear canal as from swimming or from irrigation, allergies, skin diseases like eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, injury to the canal from cleaning with swabs or other objects. Wax may also trap water & makes the skin soft & vulnerable to infection. These factors need to be searched for & taken care of. You should first have an examination by an ENT doctor who can examine the inner portion of the ear within the canal.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your early recovery.
Any query, please ask.