Dr. Trepp
Dr. Trepp, Doctor
Experience:  M.D. Internal Medicine
19694963

I have a faint brown vertical line on my index finger. I am

I have a faint brown vertical line on my index finger. I am definitely going to get it checked out, but I am so worried that it is melanoma... by what I read online. Is it possible that it could be something less serious? Thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Trepp replied 7 years ago.
Hello! I would like to help you with your question. From the description you are telling me, it does not sound like a melanoma. Most forms of melanoma start off as a mole (also called a nevus) which looks like a freckle or dark brown spot. This becomes enlarged and sometimes becomes darker and can form an irregular border. When this spot becomes larger then the head of a pencil, starts to bleed or becomes irregular we recommend having it removed and looked at under a microscope. It would be unusual for a melanoma to show up as a straight line, but it would be a good idea to have this seen by a physician.

I hope this is helpful and gives you some relief. If you found this useful please click on ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for the answer.

Thanks!

- Dr. Trep
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry... my question should have read my fingernail. I have a faint brown vertical line on my FINGERNAIL. Everything I have read online says that it could be melanoma and now I am worried. I am going to get it checked out, but I hate not knowing. Is it possible that it could be something else less serious???? Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Trepp replied 7 years ago.
I understand what you are saying. I would say that a melanoma may show up like that rarely, there are other causes of this including trauma, Addison's disease, or even a nevus that is growing at the base of the fingernail. Your best bet is to get it checked out, but remember that malignant melanomas are relatively rare.

I hope this helps,

- Dr. Trep
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks! I appreciate your help.