doctor123
doctor123, Doctor
Experience:  4 years of experience in primary care medicine

Sometimes during sex, I feel a sharp pain as I ejaculate, and

Sometimes during sex, I feel a sharp pain as I ejaculate, and after there is a blood discharge from my penis. This has been going on for a couple years, but only very rarely and only when my partner was on top. I just figured it was an anatomically related.

However, over the last two days, I began to experience the same thing when I urinate. What could be the cause?
Category: Medical
Expert:  doctor123 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and good evening.

There are several possible causes of painful ejaculation with or without bloody semen or painful urination.

Keep in mind that this is only a list and you need to see your doctor or urologist for a complete history and physical. Only then can proper treatment be rendered.

1. urethritis - inflammation of the urethra - symptoms include loss of appetite, impotence, urinary incontinence, pain with urination and painful ejaculation
2. Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate gland - symptoms can include foul or strong urine odor, incomplete emptying of bladder, moist skin, difficulty sustaining an erection, and painful ejaculation, blood in semen especially if caused by bacterial infection
3. Orchitis - pain in one or both testicles - symptoms include     * Pain with intercourse, infertility, heavy feeling in the testicles, fertility problems, painful ejaculation
4. Epididymitis is an inflammation of the epididymis, the tubular structure that connects the testicle with the vas deferens - symptoms can include jeavy feeling in the testicles, chills, discharge from penis, groin pain, painful ejaculation
5. prostate cancer - cancer in the prostate gland, a small walnut sized structure - symptoms may include blood in urine, low back pain, incomplete emptying of bladder, decreased libido, painful ejaculation
6. urethral stricture is an abnormal narrowing of the urethra (the tube that releases urine from the body). Symptoms may include bood in urine, urinary incontinence, dark urine, discharge from penis, painful ejaculation

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If I had to guess, I would say its a stricture since it occurs so intermittently and only when I am urinating or ejaculating. I forgot to mention that the sharp pain is located toward the end of my penis (not quite at the tip, but closer to the end than the base).

How is a stricture treated/corrected?

Expert:  doctor123 replied 5 years ago.
Hello. You may be right. If you truly have a stricture of the urethra, it is treated surgically.   This is usually accomplished by dilation to stretch the scar tissue or urethrotomy (which is making an incision to release the scar tissue), use of tiny stents to open the stricture, and lastly open reconstruction. Good luck. When you see a urologist they will review the pros and cons to each and confirm an accurate diagnosis.
doctor123, Doctor
Experience: 4 years of experience in primary care medicine