Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

I have been diagnosed with a grade 3 fatty liver in a sonography

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with a grade 3 fatty liver in a sonography test, with possibility of hepatomegaly. What may be the causes of this condition, and the general treatment for this.
I am 46yrs old male, weight 80kg, height 183cms. I am a seamen working in merchant ships.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.

Alcohol consumption is the most common cause of fatty liver. Another common cause is high triglycerides. Usually people with very high triglycerides have a genetic predisposition toward this. A high fat and high sugar diet contributes to the problem.

Reducing alcohol consumption and eating a low fat and low sugar diet helps. There are meds in the cholesterol lowering family that tend to help. This is the subgroup of bile acid sequestrants. These would include the meds ; Welchol, Questran and Colestipol. These meds bindto bile acids in the GI tract and reduce their reabsorbtion lower in the GI tract. This reduces the delivery of fatty acids back to the liver. Fish oil containing omega three fatty acids ususally help to bring down triglycerides as well.

I hope this information helps. Follow up questions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD