Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

I am VERY worried about twilight sleep for bunion surgery.

I am VERY worried about "twilight sleep" for bunion surgery. I just had hysterectomy under general anesthesia 5 days ago. Even though I had nausea and vomited once, I would rather have NO CHANCE of any recollection of the surgery. I am scheduled for foot surgery July 1, but am extremely nervous about twilight. my husband had twilight for esophageal inspection a few years ago. He still remembers it, and he fought them so much that he knocked out his front tooth. eeeekkk!!!! My daughter had liver bipsy and remembers all. I DO NOT WANT ANY LEVEL OF CONSCIOUSNESS during this surgery. eeek eeek! What do I do? I'm nearly at the point of cancelling the surgery- but I know I need to do it now and recouperate before fall dance classes start. I am a dance teacher. Is there anything I can ask- who do I ask....eeek! Is there any way I can insure no consciousness?
Submitted: 7 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomerbr />
Only way to ensure this is to ask your surgeon.Your doctor can ask the anaesthesia doctor to give you anaesthesia so that you do not remember anything.

Regards

Sawhney

__________________________________________________________________________

If you are satisfied then don't forget to click ACCEPT.

I am available to answer your further queries.

Positive feedback and bonus would be warmly appreciated.

Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so, will there actually be an anesthesist there? The surgical nurse told me: we just do twilight sleep. Who does the administering of the twilight sleep?
regarding your answer: ask the doctor to give you anesthesia so you don't remember anything- Isn't that a given?
DearCustomerbr />
At my institution all anaesthesia whether a sedation or a complete general anaesthesia are given by an anaesthesist.
Twilight anaesthesia or sedation may leave behind memories of procedure as you say has happened with your husband and daughter.Therefore general anaesthesia may be preferable for you.
If an anaesthesist is not going to be involved in your case you can request the surgeon to call one.
DearCustomerbr />Please do not accept if you are not satisfied.I can not return your money as it is taken by justanswer and I get paid a part of it by the website, if I could I would have done so if you are not satisfied.
This conversation is still open.You can ask me anything you would like to know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I agreed to pay you for an answer and I did. I now know not to use this website ever again. This will conclude our conversation.