Dr. Grinman
Dr. Grinman, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Medical Doctor
4600930

i have a large lump located just below my shoulder blade. i

Customer Question

i have a large lump located just below my shoulder blade. i had it first looked at last month and they said it could be a lympoma. in the last 3 weeks it has gotten bigger and i can't sit back or lay on that side because it causes pain not only to the site but my left arm as well. they don't have any open appointments at the general surgeons until july 30th should i wait or get a different dr. and could this be something i should be really worried about.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Grinman replied 5 years ago.

If the pain is that severe it may be worth trying to find another surgeon to take it out sooner than later just based on the discomfort you are having. And if indeed it is a lymphoma, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX is not, the sooner you diagnose it the faster you can treat it, which is always a good thing. Plus, knowing sooner would be a great thing for your psyche as well, as uncertainty can cause a lot of anxiety which is bad for your overall health.
Dr. Grinman
PS Please don't forget to click Accept if you have no further questions. Positive feedback and bonus are always greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
they said lympoma not lymphoma. they don't believe it is cancerous. i am worried about the growth rate and sudden soremess. this may explain somemore. it actually feels like when you get a giant zit or a boil and it tightens up like it wants to pop. that's the best i could come up with to explain it.
Sorry!! I misread your spelling..a simple lipoma is a benign tumor composed of fatty tissue. It is not dangerous and does not spread like cancer. They usually do no grow very big, however. There is rarely a cancerous type of growth called liposarcoma which grows bigger than a lipoma and is a true cancer and needs to be treated aggressively. And again, because of the discomfort you are having it may be worth getting it removed quicker just for that reason.
Dr. Grinman
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
to be totally truthfull i don't see where your answer helped me at all. it did not ease my anxiety at all and still don't know if this is something i should be worried about so no i will not push accept.
Not a problem at all! This is why the option not to accept exists. Since I am not your doctor and have not examined you I cannot tell you what you should or should not do. And as far as easing your mind...I don't know what the fast growth in your shoulder blade is, so telling you everything will be ok if you wait, is not appropriate in my personal opinion. By the way, if you "opt out," another doctor can try to answer your question as well...this may be a good option for you. Have a good night.
Dr. Grinman