Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Hematology/Oncology

I have a 1 year old with a temperature of 102. What should

I have a 1 year old with a temperature of 102. What should I do ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 7 years ago.
Any other symptoms? How long has the fever been this high and checked how? Is your baby drinking OK? How many wet diapers today compared to normal? Stool pattern normal? Any dairrhea or vomiting?
Thank you.
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He started having a fever about 3 hrs. ago and has been drinking apple juice fine. He has had normal wet diapers so I don't think he is dehydrated. No diarrhea or vomiting.

He is teething.

Thank you for the additional info.
Your baby likely is starting a viral illness. He may develop cold symptoms (runny nose +/- cough) and / or diarrhea over the next 3-5 days.
The key issue when an infant is sick is making sure he is well-hydrated, especially if he has ongoing loss from vomiting and/or diarrhea. You can give the normal breast milk and/or formula feedings unless they seem to make the diarrhea worse. In your son's case, whatever he wants to drink unless he gets diarrhea. Lots to drink. he may not want to eat the same amount, which for 3-5 days is fine.
You can give dose-appropriate tylenol every 4-6 hours if you feel he's uncomfortable/achy from the fever. I recommend NOT giving the combo of tylenol + motrin unless the child has a medical reason to not tolerate a fever (body's normal response to an infection).
If at any time he is too fussy or too sleepy, or you feel he may be dehydrated, then you need to take him to his pediatrician ASAP.
I hope this helps and please tell me if you have more questions.
Louise Sivak, M.D.