Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

what is the difference between neuropathy and peripheral n

what is the difference between neuropathy and peripheral neuropathy?

Neuropathy is just a more general term. Neuropathy would mean any disease of the nerves. This would encompass peripheral neuropathies plus other problems such as a pinched nerve in the back for example.

Peripheral neurophathy is some disease or process affecting the nerves in a way that the points furtherest from the brain show symptoms first. This usually means first the toes and feet and later the fingers and hands. Symptoms most typically including tingling/burning sensation or a lack of sensation. Diabetes is the most common cause of peripheral neuropathy.

I hope this information is helpful. follow up questions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work. Thank you and Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had a torn femoral artery and after they repaired it and cleaned up the leg there was nerve damage and now neuropathy. No diabetes in my case, however, i have the no sensation and tingling and shooting fiery pains. The periperal question was for another person. So I think my question is mine is just neuropathy ?

Hi again!

Yes, in your situation this would be a neuropathy that was isolated to the injured nerve.At least in your situation it will not be a progressive problem.

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD