MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine

My boyfriend quit drinking alcohol and smoking pot since he

My boyfriend quit drinking alcohol and smoking pot since he has mandatory tests for a DUI. He just told me he had been taking his brother's clonazepam and ambien to adjust to the lack of alcohol and pot. I told him these things will probably show up on his drug tests, and since he doesn't have a legit rx he will probably get in trouble. He stopped both, but found out his first drug test is in 1 day. If his last dose of both was yesterday, will he fail?
Category: Medical
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
The only answer for this is maybe or maybe not. There are a few complicating factors here. Both of these drugs will test as part of the benzodiazepam class so they may work together to boost the result into positive. Also if he has been taking several doses a positive is more likely. On the other hand, the ambien often does not cause a positive test due to its unusual metabolism and short "half-life". You might try to find a drug screen for "benzodiazepams" that might be available in a pharmacy (make certain it does not rely on mailing something in). A negative test on them would be somewhat reassuring.
Please click ACCEPT>
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.