Dr. Hoffman
Dr. Hoffman, Doctor
Experience:  U.S. Board Certified Family Practitioner. Trained at Oregon Health & Sci. U. and U. of Rochester.

I have small red itchy bumps on my upper arms and upper back.

I have small red itchy bumps on my upper arms and upper back. They are in no particular pattern, no pain, no blisters, and no fluid or puss in the bumps. I've had them for three days and the pain has subsided mostly since I took benadryl a few hours ago. What could be causing these bumps. I'm 47 years old.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hoffman replied 7 years ago.
Dear Geegee,

Surprisingly, there are not too many rashes that are itchy. the most common cause of small pruritic red bumps is actually a scabies infection. If it were a vesicle full of fluid, I would lean towards poison oak or poison ivy. Other it she rashes include eczema, but they are not often little small bombs.

If it is scabies, you need to see a doctor and be treated with permethrin cream. I would definitely want an expert eyeball to take a look at this.

Hope this helps,

Dr. P
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could it be shingles?
Usually shingles are more painful than itchy and they happen in a particular area or call the Germantown which can be a strip of skin that wrapped around her body. It is unlikely to be a few dots on an arm or back. Still, I can't say it's impossible.

Dr. P