MasterDoc
MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine
3119816

I had surgery over 2 years ago where the bone at the bottom

I had surgery over 2 years ago where the bone at the bottom of the spine is taken out. Well my back gave in and now is totally crooked. I have lost about 2 or 3 inches in height. My doctor gave me vicodin for the pain and a year ago it helped. But no longer, now I cannot do anything at all, a walk from the bedroom to the kitchen is painful. When I am sitting I am most comfortable. Sometimes I have to wiggle and get a good position. He will not advise me to take it any closer than 8 hours, but I have been taking it 6 hours and sometimes more. It helps a little but never takes away the pain. Is there a stronger medication or what can I do.
Category: Medical
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 5 years ago.
THere are definitely stronger medications than vicodin available. You need to explain clearly to your MD the degree to which the pain is limiting your activity and ask for something stronger.
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My doctor does not want to give me anything stronger. Is this right? I am 79 years old and dont expect to cut grass, but I do want to be able to walk around without going ouch ouch. I was told once the next step to help me would be surgery, A post in my back to take place of the spine. And a years recovery , oh dear, anyway I done want to do that. Should I just take medication and thats all there is?
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 5 years ago.
If you are limited in such basic activites as walking to the kitchen you need to speak as forcefully as possible to your MD. If necessary, you should consider seeing another MD or a pain specialist for stronger medication.
Please click ACCEPT.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.
MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience: 20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine