Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

can you get food in your lungs i was eating sunflower seeds

can you get food in your lungs?? i was eating sunflower seeds and one got caught in the back of my throat for a second, i didn't cough or anything, and then it went down, but i don't know which pipe it went down. please help i am nervous it went into my lung

Hello!

It is possible to aspirate food into the windpipe at times. I doubt this is the case with you. You would probably be very uncomfortable and coughing your head off if you had a sunflower seed into your bronchial tree. If you have any suspicious symptoms then you can get it checked out.(I've known of cases where a person swallowed their on tooth) If you have no discomfort and no unusual cough then I think it is very unlikely that you aspirated the seed.

I hope this information helps. Follow up questions are welcome if you have any.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what happens if you do aspirate it?? do you need surgery? is it dangerous?

Hello!

Potentially dangerous. If you did aspirate an object such as a seed then a pulmonologist would do a bronchoscopy and retrieve the object out. As I said if you feel comfortable and not coughing then I doubt you aspirated. If you aspirated an object then it could be a set up for an aspiration pneumonia as one potential complication.

I hope this helps. Further questions are welcome if you have any.

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD