HouseDoc, Attending Physician
Experience:  Licensed by the State of New York

How can I stop this knee bouncing habit that Ive developed

Customer Question

How can I stop this knee bouncing habit that I've developed over several months?
female 45 years old
Category: Medical
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 7 years ago.

Knee bouncing is a habit that is common in many people. The cause of knee bouncing can be physiological and/or psychological.

Physiological reasons for knee bouncing can be related to restless leg syndrome in which patients complain of electric sensation and/or bug crawling sensation. This typically occurs most significantly at night when patients have uncontrolable leg twitching or movement. The treatment for this is a dopamine agonist such as requip or mirapex. Other physiologic reasons include prolonged sitting or standing.

Psychological/psychiatric cause can include anxiety or a nervous tic. In such cases taking a medication such as klonopin, xanax or valium can also help. Some psychiatrists have also used gabapentin (neurontin) on an off-label basis to treat anxiety.

As there are medications which are available to treat this condition in either case, it would be neccary to see your primary care doctor to get a referral to a neurologist or a psychiatrist.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's my understanding that Restless Leg Syndrome is associated with or can be with Parkinson's D. I have recently been diagnosed with PD, is this then part of PD syndrome?
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 7 years ago.
Restless leg syndrome is not the samething as parkinson's disease, but the same medication (a dopamine agonist) is used to treat the symptoms. These are two separate diagnoses. The majority of the cases of RLS are idiopathic (i.e., we don't know what causes them). However, there are some medical conditions which can predispose a person to RLS. Some conditions that can do this include: pregnancy, iron deficiency anemia, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, peripheral neuropathy, fibromyalgia, and Parksinson's Disease. People with Parkinson's disease (PD) can often experience symptoms of restless leg syndrome, but there is no evidence to suggest that RLS causes PD. To answer your question more directly, RLS is not part of the PD, but PD can predispose to getting RLS.