Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD

I discovered a dent in my right breast about 6 weeks ago (I

I discovered a dent in my right breast about 6 weeks ago (I have a baby of 7mths and noticed it as my baby weight began to go) I went to my doctors who referred me and I have just seen a consultant who says I may have thinning of the breast tissues and have nothing to worry about. I am however concerned as I have breast cancer on both my maternal and paternal sides. Could you explain what breast tissue thinning is please?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 7 years ago.
<p>lesley,</p><p> </p><p>Have you had a mammography or a breast ultrasound since you noticed the dent?</p><p> </p><p>Does you baby take milk more from the right breast or the left breast?</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have just had a mammogram but I'm waiting to have an ultrasound. I only breastfed my baby for a few days.
Breast tissue thinning typically occurs if a woman breadtfeeds her baby on one breast only. This causes the other breast to decrease the production of milk and some amount of breast thinning in comparison to the other breast can occur.

But in this case, the entire breast undergoes thinning or decrease in size. There will not be a dent on the breast. A dent occurs when there is something inside the breast pulling at the skin of the breast.

With a positive history of breast cancer, I believe that you need to be thoroughly investigated, and to take a second opinion from another breast specialist.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask for more information if you want any. If not, please accept the answer by clicking on the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback would be much appreciated.