Dr.tiwari, Doctor
Experience:  M.D.

I rescued a field mouse from my cat, and before I could toss

I rescued a field mouse from my cat, and before I could toss the little critter, it bit me on my finger. I squeezed to make it bleed, washed with antibiotic soap, then applied neosporin. What are the chances the little mouse had rabies? Should I be concerned?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 7 years ago.
    Is cat has any rabies symptoms?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Our cat is up to date on rabies.....this little TEENY mouse bit ME (not my cat) - and just minutes ago. It is a tiny kind of puncture bite on my index finger....not deep - similar to a small paper cut. The cat is FINE. (I'm concerned about the bite I got....not the cat. The is fine.)
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 7 years ago.
O.k.,I have already understood that.
I think you are a well aware person & has good knowledge about health & hygiene.You have done very good by washing yourself with soap at any incidence of having rabies this should have been done as it reduces the chances of having rabies more then 80%.
   Let 's reduce your worries it has been clearly stated in literature that 'squirrels,mice & other small rodents does rarely have rabies & never been known to transmit rabies to animals or human being ,post exposure treatment is not recommended after their bite,only groundhog can be infected with rabies .
Hope this will help you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes - my concern was that the field mouse could transmit the rabies to me - I was under the assumption that squirrels can carry the rabies virus - and wondered if mice did as well....I wasn't clear on exactly WHAT type of wild critter could carry the virus....and of course, do not want to embark on a series of shots as a precaution if not needed...I think you are telling me not to worry? (I know it was stupid of me to rescue the mouse - I was trying to do my "good deed"!)
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Hope my answer has helped you.

If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.