Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

My husband is rapidly losing his facial hair, in blotches.

My husband is rapidly losing his facial hair, in blotches. It is growing back in some of it but it is white in colour. He wears a mustache and small beard under the lip and shoves the rest only the shaven areas are affected. we have tried changing shaving products and now he is using a trimmer.
What is causing this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 7 years ago.
Customer

It is likely that he is suffering from a condition known as alopecia barbae. This is an autoimmune condition in which the facial hair falls due to an inflammatory reaction at the follicles, leaving areas of bald spots.

If it is only in a few spots, they will recover spontaneously. if larger areas are affected, he will need to use steroid ointments to reduce the inflammatory reaction.

Please consult a dermatologist for a checkup.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask for more information if you want any. If not, please accept the answer by clicking on the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback would be much appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He has large spots on his face like most of the cheek area on one side and about half of that on the other, we just noticed a spot about the size of a quarter on the side of his head.

Does your assumed diagnosis still apply with the additional information? At this rate he will be bald before the end of the year. There is no spots elsewhere on his body as of yet.

Customer

Yes, the diagnosis of alopecia barbae still stands. Since he is starting to lose hair on the side of his head, it is possible that he is suffering from a wider condition called alopecia areata in which all the body hair, including that of the head is affected. Alopecia barbae is a subtype of alopecia areata.

Please ask him to consult a dermatologist as early as he can - the earlier the treatment is started, the better the condition can be controled.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I was diagnosed with alopecia areata at the age of nine. I thought that this might be the case but he had no symptoms before this.

Thank you.

I have convinced him to go seek professional help.