Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

my 13 year old daughter has been complaining of stomach cramps.

my 13 year old daughter has been complaining of stomach cramps. somewhat severe. I took her to the doctor and they suggested we obtain a stool sample for a parasite. they also suggested she take a priolsec otc if discomfort continues. she has taken the priolosec and the pain subsided until last night when she had an attack and then had diarrehea...what do you think this could be...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 7 years ago.
How long has this been going on? Any fevers or vomiting? Any abdominal pain? Any bloody stool or black stool?
When was her last period?
Any other medical problems?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would say about 3 weeks. we were in the bahammas for 5 days so i think that is where the pedia. was headed with the test for a parasite. She has not communicated she has had blood in stool. no fever no vomiting. her last period was 40 days ago. still young and not consistent with her menstrual schedule.    not other medical issues.
Bahamas, huh?
Yeah, it does sounds very suspicious for worms. I grew up in Barbados and they are rampant.
The fact that she has had these cramps for 3 weeks is reassuring, in a way- most significant causes for cramps would have declared themselves by now- such as intussusception (bowel telescoping onto itself), or appendicitis (rare presentation). As well, this could be menstrual cramps, but unlikely.
You may want to consider an over the counter medication, such as pin-x. This is for pinworms, which is likely the more common entity. I would talk to your doctor before starting her on this, but it is safe any many people in the caribbean just take it when ever they suspect worms...

In the meantime you need to collect her stool. And you need alot of it.
If she has any vomiting, fevers, bloody stool or other concerning symptoms, take her to the ER right away.

Best wishes

Press the green accept button if this was helpful.