Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

I seem to ruptured a bursa sac in my elbow. There is localized

I seem to ruptured a bursa sac in my elbow. There is localized swelling about half the size of a golf ball. It looks bad, but there is absolutely no pain and I still have a full range of motion. There seems to be no injury to the joint itself. Will this heal in time or do I need the expense of having it looked at by a doctor.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 7 years ago.
It is unlikely you actually ruptured, the sac, it seems like the sac is swollen in a condition called bursitis.
If it just is swollen, then you can apply cool compresses to the area and take medication like motrin (unless contraindicated) as directed. I would just apply the compresses and take the motrin. If it doesn't get better after a couple of weeks, then see a doctor.
On occasion, they will get inflammed and you will need antibiotics- but in this case, the area is warm and painful.

Here is an excellent link:

If you get fevers, vomiting, redness, or other concerning symptoms, go to the ER or see your doctor that day.

Best wishes

Press the green accept button if this was helpful. Feedback and bonus are humbly appreciated.