Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

MY FOOT & ANKLE AREA HAS BEEN SWOLLEN & BRUISED FOR ABOUT 5

MY FOOT & ANKLE AREA HAS BEEN SWOLLEN & BRUISED FOR ABOUT 5 DAYS. I DID NOT FALL OR SPRAIN THE ANKLE BUT I DID WEAR SOME SHOES THAT BUCKLED AND I THINK THE BUCKLE MAY HAVE BEEN TOO TIGHT. AT THE END OF THE DAY MY ANKLE DID FEEL A LITTLE SORE. IT DOESN'T HURT NOW TO WALK OR MOVE THE FOOT BUT IT IS STILL SWOLLEN.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

It sounds that you did have some injury to the ankle that caused the swelling and bruising. I would say that it must be mild if it does not hurt. That is a good sign. To the extent practical avoid prolonged standing. When you can , if you sit then elevate the foot on the couch /bed/ or footrest and this will help keep the swelling down. You would probably have some benefit to using an ACE wrap to the ankle to help reduce the swelling. It provides mild compression and a little bit of support. (The support you get from an ACE wrap is not much but since it does not hurt I don'tthink you need an ankle brace.) Over the next several days you are likely to see discoloration of the skin. You likely had an internal injury that caused some bruising. This bruising is more likely to become apparant in the coming days as a series of discoloration of the skin purple>green> yellow then normal. So, don't be alarmed if you see these kind of changes. There may be some benefit with a low dose of an anti-inflammatory such as one Aleve twice a day with food but you don't seem to have much need for this since you don't have pain.

I hope this information and these tips are useful for you. Follow up questions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work. Thank you and Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice