Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

To urinate I have to push down and strain really hard and I

To urinate I have to push down and strain really hard and I never empty my bladder. What could cause this?I am a 48 year old female, thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
You are experiencing difficulty in voiding. The causes of difficulty in voiding in women are:

Neurological: This may occur in damage to the nerves as in Lumbar disc lesion or in diseases like diabetes which affect the nerves.

Abdominal surgery: abdominal surgery may rarely affect the nerves supplying the bladder. This would be uncommon after an appendectomy though.

Acute infections: acute cystitis

Obstruction: due to pelvic floor prolapse, which can cause a lump in the anterior wall of your vagina, urethral obstruction, etc.

Psychological causes like stress, depression, etc.

You have to see a urologist for this. You will need tests like Uroflometry and Cystometry. Once the cause is found, you can expect to find a cure. SO I recommend that you see a urologist for this.

You can look up here:

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank You for your time and the helpful answers. I have an apt at Mayo Clinic in Rochester with a urologiist soon. I am having repeated UTIs do to the residual so I suppose I should take care of the problem. When I was pregnant I couldn't urinate without being cathed. At that time they thought it was neurological but I am thinking this is not really the same problem. My GYN has mentioned I have a prolapsed pelvic floor so I am thinking this is the problem and the fix can't be difficult. I am confident Mayo will get to the root of the problem. Thanks again! Blessings
Lisa M.Halverson