MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine

I heard on TV today something about Zantac possibly causing

I heard on TV today something about Zantac possibly causing problems with bones.        I have taken it for sometime in the AM and I have taken Zantac also for a long time (tho' less time than the diagnosis of my back). However, in the last 6-8 months my back and right hip have been worsening with pain and mobility. Could the Zantac be a contributing cause?             I am an 82 y.o. female .
Category: Medical
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
There is some evidence (although it is not conclusive) that zantac can accelerate the normal bone loss that occurs as one ages. However it is far more likely, in my judgment, that worsening back and hip pain are due to more common causes such as worsening arthritis. You should discuss this with your MD if you are concerned.
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.