Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

my tongue feels swollen, i have a sore throat, and the bumps

Here are my symptoms; my tongue feels swollen, i have a sore throat, and the bumps on the very back of my tongue look a little more bigger than before, and i have a sinus drainage...when i blow my nose or cough up phlegm it's clear.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 5 years ago.
Hi
I read your question. It sounds like you have an upper respiratory infection. Most of these are caused by a virus. The combination of your symptoms, sore throat, sinus drainage means that you have a virus attacking your air passages. The swelling of the tongue and the bumps are not uncommon- the taste buds can become a little swollen. It is really important that you keep well hydrated and take a good decongestant to help clear out all of the mucous. If you develop any difficulty breathing, fever or severe headache, you need to see a physician right away. In the meantime, take it easy, drink fluids and rest. You should plan on taking off monday if you don't feel much better by the end of today.

Best wishes

press the green accept button if this was helpful
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the sore throat i've had for about 6 days, the congestion and runny nose for about 5 or 6 days, the tongue feeling swollen for 3 days now, yesterday my left ear started hurting, not so much as painful more just bothersome, so i started taking Tylenol cold Multi-Symptom Severe, and also i had a wisdom tooth pulled a few years ago upper left side... the dentist couldnt get the rest of the tooth extracted, so i just left it. Now a fragment is portruding through the gum (for about a year now) and it feels like it has fever in it and it's sore, this pain happened last night. Today, my ear isn't bothering me and the gum around the tooth fragment doesnt hurt. Figured I'd add that though in case it could be part of the problem.

Hmm. Well the length of your illness does change things a little, so thank you for the additional informatin.
Generally if you have been ill for about 10 days (with runny nose/cough/etc) then the recommendation is antibiotics. Sometimes you can get a low lying sinusitis which needs antibiotics. You are at day 6 now. It might get better, but if you do not feel better by Wednesday, you should see your doctor. As well, it may not hurt to call your doctor for a prescription for albuterol- this is the first line treatment for bronchitis (which is what most upper respiratory infections are). I did read your notion about the tooth fragment. If it is not swollen or painful, I wouldn't worry. But if it gets worse, you need to see your dentist.

Best wishes

press the green accept button if this was helpful.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, this is the first time my tongue has ever felt swollen, and it feels kind of tingly, maybe even to the effect of almost feeling burnt. Is there any other possible options for this??
Well, there is something called burning mouth syndrome

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020215/615.html

Basically this is a syndrome in while the mouth, including tongue, have burning sensations in the absence of other symptoms (like ulcerations). This can be caused by medication, like ACE inhibitors, nutritional deficiencies, lichen planus, menopause, collagen vascular diseases, to name a few.

The treatment varies depending on the cause, but often includes tricyclic antidepressants, benzodiazepines and nutritional supplementation (if this is the case).

However, to be honest, you already sound like you have a viral illness which can also cause these symptoms. Why don't you wait and see how you do- if the burning persists, then make an appointment with your doctor

Best wishes

Please press the green accept button so I can get credit for this interaction. It allows me to help people like you :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about the possibility of an STD? I have not been sexually active in 4 months after my wife and I split up, but she was with 3 different men that I found out about before we split. Just trying to find out if that could be a possibility and it being a few months now, maybe it's trying to show it's ugly head now. She hasn't mentioned to me that she has got any symptoms of anything. But not sure if she would say anything.
Oral gonorrhea is not impossible, but it does have a pus discharge on the back of the throat. I think that STD causing your symptoms is low.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so, oral gonorrhea could be a possibility. Which i serious doubt it to be it. What about herpes and hpv??
You would need to get tested for these by your regular doctor. but herpes and hpv will not cause the symptoms you are having.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wanted to rule out other possibilities. It's just the tongue thing had me baffled and didnt know what to think as i havent had any problems of it feeling like it was burnt and swollen before. And the bumps on the very back of my tongue seemed to be larger than they were before and more of them. But i dont look at them often so i could just be wrong, plus information i was finding out just by searching on the internet was scareing me with the fact that my wife cheated on me made me really think this was something even worse.

I don't think that you need to worry about them now. Just concentrate on getting over your viral illness.

The internet can be good and bad, unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation which can be frightening.

Take is easy. Drink plenty of fluids. Take tylenol and motrin for pain and watch a movie.

Best wishes

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing