Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor

I have no fever but coughing up clear mucus for 6 weeks. Why?

No fever, coughing up mucus for six weeks now. Have been using provental. Have been coughing now for six weeks. At one time the coughing was very violent. There was a little blood in the mucus. At first my Dr. prescribed zee pack. This did nothing. I have been using prescribed asmanex twisthaler once a day and cheratussin ac syrup every six hours, with proventil hfa 9o mcg inhaler every six hours. On my last visit my doctor thinks I might have a whooping cough, but I do not. I am not whooping. I am just coughing up a lot of white phlegm, no pus, just phlegm, to a point of gagging. Can you help me please. I am getting tired of this. Help. Thank you.

P.S - I have had an x-ray. It was clear and clean.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 7 years ago.

Did you have any test?
Are you a smoker?
Did you have any other symptom or previous illness?
What is your age?
Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No tests. I have never smoked. No symptoms that I recall. I am 72 yrs. young

I am not very good with a computer. It is new to me.

Thank you

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the information.
The symptoms of clear phlegm can be due to some allergic reaction too.
As the symptoms of cough is persistent for more than 6 weeks, you need some investigations like chest x-ray, blood test, allergy test.
You should consult a pulmonologist to do all the investigations to get the diagnosis and treatment.
I hope this information will be helpful. Please ask if you need any clarification.
Best wishes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I did have an x-ray. It was clear. I am thinking it might be the air conditioning. Possibly a fungus in the system. We are going to get it cleaned. The hurricanes may have contaminated the air system. Does this sound like a possibility? I did fail to put one of the medications prescribed for me for whooping cough. It is clarithromycin. It is giving me the runs.

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 7 years ago.

As the x-ray is clear, it can be allergy.
Fungal infection can cause allergy too, except pneumonia.
In case of pneumonia, x-ray should show up. Sometimes scan may be needed too.
Adult whooping cough is now being seen.
As the clarithromycin was not taken, other antibiotic could be tried.
Cleaning of air condition is a good option.
Besides fungal infection, infection by a typical bacteria like Legionnaire's Disease is common from air condition.
A thorough investigations are necessary for definitive diagnosis.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me one more thing please, what are the symptoms of leagonaries disease.

P.S. I have already taken 3 oses of two tablets of clarithromycin. I do seem to coughwhen the air conditioner is on, but only at night. I will look for a pulmonary Dr. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 7 years ago.

It will have the same features of pneumonia like cough, chest pain, muscle pain, productive or non productive cough etc.
It will be better if you take a consultation of a pulmonologist as you are having the symptoms for weeks.